Video Index

Step By Step Video Guide

General Videos:

Introduction to Plastering

Base Coat Videos

Angle Beads External corners for base and skim coat

Applying Base Coat 1 Using Guides

Applying Base Coat 2 filling in between guides

Forming the internal corners & Patching (joining)

Floating finishing the base coat

Cut Back preparing base coat for skimming

Skimming Videos

Skim Beads

Skimming Introduction

Mixing Finish Plaster

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Internal Corners & Joining


Ceilings Real Life (more coming soon)


Information Pages

How to Practice your plastering skills


  1. Introduction About using this guide to learn how to plaster at home

Backing Coat

  1. Materials The 3 backing coat plasters
  2. Preparation How to prepare the wall for plastering

Available to members of the Online Plastering School

  1. Applying Backing Coat Details The main principles of application
  2. Using Guides Using guides are a fool-proof way to achieve a totally flat wall.
  3. Straightening Backing Coat Using the straight edge to rule off the plaster. 
  4. Flat Walls What to aim for with the straight edge 
  5. Floating The straight edge will contribute about 80% towards the flatness. The remaining 20% will be achieved through use of the float.
  6. Corners Using angle beads to form external corners
  7. Patching How to repair plastered walls

The Finish (Skim) Coat

  1. How To Skim About the finish coat (skim coat)
  2. The Materials Using multi-finish plaster
  3. About The Trowel important to ensure your trowel is worn in

Available to members of the Online Plastering School

  1. Preparation One of the most important aspects.
  2. Trowel Technique & Control Only the trowel is used to apply and finish the skim coat. There is no magic to skimming – it is the combination of firm pressure combined with the correct angle of your trowel.
  3. Applying Plaster Where on the wall to start
  4. An Overview of the 6 stages of Skimming With a % of completion at each stage.
  5. The first 3 Stages of Skimming There are approximately 6 stages to skimming.
  6. The Final 3 Stages Trowelling the Plaster means to work it smooth.
  7. Repairing plaster Patching with a skim coat

  1. The  Top 10 Plastering Tips
    If you remember nothing else try to keep these in mind.
  2. Coping with Larger Walls & Patching
    Larger areas are possible when you know how to approach them.
  3. How to Practice
    Practicing is cheap & easy to do.
  4. Plastering Wood Laths and Expanded Metal Lathing